With the coming of the Fall season most people can expect more rain, even in sunny San Diego. Now is a good time to check your roof to make sure it can withstand the elements in the Fall and coming Winter months. If you’ve owned your home for over 30 years and have never replaced the roof, now would be a good time to inspect it.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when inspecting your roof:
1) Some materials last longer than others: Asphalt shingles sometime need to be replaced as early as 15 years after installation, and certainly by year 30, while wood shingles and rubber tiles can last anywhere for 30 to 50 years. Of the more durable roofing materials, metal can last at least 50 years, and slate, one of the most expensive materials, usually lasts the lifetime of the house.
2) Are shingles coming loose? Missing or loose shingles can expose your roof and home directly to inclement weather. This is one of the leading reasons for water damage to homes.
3) Are there curled or buckled shingles? Curled shingles occur when hot air from the attic force the shingles to curl away from the home. They are also a sign of inadequate roof ventilation and they will cause your roof to wear out more quickly. Buckled shingles, on the other hand, occur when hot air from an attic forces shingles to buckle away from the home. Buckled shingles, like curled shingles, cannot adequately protect your home.
4) Algae: You can spot algae from the dark streaks clinging to your roof. Algae can grow for long periods of time, and in addition to being unsightly and difficult to remove, it could mean that your roof may have other issues that need to be inspected by a professional.
5) Mold: More difficult to detect than algae, mold can be spotted by looking at the ceiling of your attic. Often times mold is a result of water leaking into your attic. If you discover mold in your attic you need to remove it immediately.
There are several other things you should look for on your roof, including proper ventilation, intact flashing and granule loss. It is important to be aware of any visible problem signs, as well as the age of your roof. Even if you see no warning signs it is important to have your roof inspected by a professional as you near the end of the average lifetime for the materials used on your roof.
If you’re looking to learn more about replacing your roof or remodeling your attic then contact San Diego roof remodeling contractor Greyhound General today, or call 800-568-7108.