Summer is almost here, so get ready to get outside and grill! There’s nothing like the smell of BBQ in the air on a warm summer day, especially when you’re accompanied by friends and family. These types of social gatherings bring people together, but before you think about hosting any summer party you need to assess your backyard. A good place to start is your deck.
If you have a deck then you should asses it structurally. How is it holding up? Has it been painted or stained in the last 2-3 years? Is there room to expand on? If you don’t have a deck, but you’re considering adding one, you need to assess the space available for a deck.
Here are several tips to consider when deciding whether to build a new deck or remodel an existing deck:
1) Who’s going to be using the deck? The size of the deck, as mentioned above, is very important and you need to know how many people you’d like to entertain on the deck.
2) How will the deck connect to the house, or will it? You need to think about all the side or back doors that you have and all the space arround each door. Ideally, if you’re planning on hosting big events the deck should be connected to the door closest to the kitchen.
3) What style of deck do you want? There are many different types of decks, one’s with trellises, multiple levels, steps, gazebos, and so on. You need to balance the look you want with the style of house you own. Does your home have a more modern look or a rustic charm? This will play a role in the style of deck you choose.
4) Are there any privacy concerns? Typically a new deck will mean that people are standing higher off the ground than they would be if there was no deck. If that’s the case then you need to determine if the fences surrounding your yard are tall enough.
5) How’s the weather? In areas where there is heavy snowfall and rain then simply using high quality stain should be fine. In areas with abundant sunshine, such as San Diego, you may want to consider some overhead protection for your deck, such as an awning or deck cover.
If you’re considering remodeling or adding a deck to your San Diego home then you should talk to Greyhound General. They will help find a deck that meets your budget and the architects will help come up with a design that fits your taste. Greyhound will also make sure that any and all work is up to code, based on local building codes and regulations.
If you’re interested in learning more about how you can upgrade your deck, or improve your entire backyard, then contact Greyhound General today, or call 800-568-7108.