Does your home have an unfinished basement that you want to remodel? If so, there are many things you’ll want to consider. Expect questions like “Do we have room for this?” and “Will this work for us?” to come up often. That’s why having an experienced San Diego basement remodeling contractor, like Greyhound General, is so important. Greyhound can walk you through each phase of the work, helping you explore all your basement options.
Here are some things to consider before remodeling your basement that Greyhound will discuss with you:
- Designing your space: No, I don’t mean on graphing paper. I mean digitally on a computer program. Greyhound’s architects can help you map out how to best utilize every square foot of your basement
- How do I factor in windows, doors, outlets, plumbing into my design?: You need to decide the best locations for the placement of these items, and having a licensed architect will help.
- Can I re-route my water pipes or ductwork?: Yes, even older homes can have both pipes and ducts re-routed. Precautions nee to be taken, but it is possible.
- What type of ceiling should I use?: The great debate now with basement remodeling is whether to use drop or drywall ceilings. Both have their advantages, drop ceilings give you more access and drywall ceilings can cover up pipes & wires, so you’ll need an experienced contractor to help you with this decision.
- Can I add a bedroom?: Of course, but state law requires that in order to be a habitable living space there must be an egress, a way to get out of the basement other than using the stairs. If you have a walk out basement you don’t need to worry, but if not, then you will be required to put in an egress window.
There are so many different things you can do with your finished basement, such as adding a:
- game or theater room
- fitness center
- home office
- and much more…
If you have any questions or you’re looking for an experienced San Diego basement remodeling contractor then contact Greyhound General today, or call 800-568-7108.