Unlike many parts of the country that experience harsh weather in the Winter and Spring, San Diegans have it mild year round. This helps keep home maintenance work from piling up. That said, it’s still a good idea to examine a few areas of your home as the weather heats up and we head into Summer.
1) Keep Cool: If you have AC, remember to replace your air filters every 30-60 days, or whatever the manufacturer recommends. You may even consider replacing them more frequently if you have pets or allergies. Also, if you’re looking to cut down on your energy bills consider installing ceiling fans.
2) Clean the Gutters: This one is self-explanatory. If you’ve let leaves and debris build up in your gutters over the past few months (or since last Fall) you need to clear them out or you risk water damage. Also consider installing a wire mesh cover for your gutters to keep larger debris out.
3) Clean the Dryer Vent: We’re not talking about the lint trap. Use a vent cleaning brush kit or vacuum to clean out the dryer vent tubing. You simply need to disconnect the tube from the wall and remove all the trapped lint.
4) Watch the Paint: Examine the paint on the exterior of your home, particularly the sides that get the most sun. Is it cracking, bubbling or peeling? You’ll want to get that taken care of so you don’t risk exposing bare wood to the elements. Just scrape/sand, prime and then paint over these areas. Also examine for mold or mildew. That can be cleaned by power washing with a mild detergent.
5) Examine Your Deck: Look for curling, cracked or rotting wood. Any boards that fit that bill will need to be replaced. Also consider re-sealing your deck every year, whether it gets a lot of sun or not. Sunlight can fade or dry the wood and shade can lead to algae and fungus spore growth. Simply power wash, remove the old seal, sand, and re-seal (after removing the dust from sanding).
These are just a handful of tips for keeping your home safe and beautiful during the Summer here in San Diego. For more information about beautifying your home through a remodel leave Greyhound a message here, or call us directly at 800-568-7108.